As a leading maritime tech company, StratumFive has a key part to play in unlocking every possible efficiency, reducing fuel consumption and lowering vessel emissions. We do this through digital innovation - epitomised by our groundbreaking new ‘Podium’ platform, which provides ship owners and operators with the big picture.
Podium delivers key decision making tools to optimise efficiency, reduce consumption; protect the safety of seafarers from adverse weather, and maximise security of ships from encounters in every operational sector, and every corner of the globe, 24/7/365.
Working in maritime is exciting, rewarding, interesting, and unlike any other industry in the world. With the sector expected to double in size to $3trn by 2030, StratumFive are looking for the next generation of innovators and problem solvers to join our mission and take pride in helping shape the future of our planet, and this most important of industries.
An industry (and opportunity) like no other
Responsible for enabling over 90% of global trade, maritime touches every part of our lives. Quite simply, without commercial ships, half the world would freeze, and half the world would starve.
The shipping industry is also responsible for a significant proportion of the global climate change crisis, and therefore a substantial proportion of the solutions that are so urgently needed. More than three percent of global carbon dioxide emissions can be attributed to ocean-going ships. This is an amount comparable to major carbon-emitting countries.
Following a decade of rapid growth, StratumFive now services in excess of 12,000 vessels. As a leading maritime tech company, we therefore have a key part to play in unlocking every possible efficiency, reducing fuel consumption and lowering vessel emissions through digital innovation - epitomised by our groundbreaking new ‘Podium’ platform.
StratumFive also plays a critical role in protecting the safety of seafarers, cargo, and the marine environment, by providing expert routing advisory services directly to the vessel via our new 24/7 New York meteorological operations centre.
Working in maritime is exciting, rewarding, interesting, and unlike any other industry. With the sector expected to double in size to $3trn by 2030, StratumFive are looking for the next generation of innovators and problem solvers to join our mission and take pride in helping shape the future of our planet, and this most important of industries.
About our Business and Technology
Our fast paced development team works with cutting edge technologies that solve real-world problems that include:
- interfacing with data-feeds from satellites, on-ship devices, governmental authorities
- storing and analyzing vast amounts of data (25+ million daily GPS positions)
- visualizing daily global weather-data (50 GB p/ day)
- correlating datasets to provide both historic analysis as well as neartime predictions
- creating powerful and effective UI/UX that drive our platform and services
- leveraging AI/ML to improve and product and services
Role & Responsibilities
As Lead Front-End Developer, you will be a driving force behind our core suite of products. Our innovative product suite consists mainly of HTML5 / webapps that have been designed to operate onboard vessels, mobile applications, desktops, and large kiosk displays. You will be responsible for the front-end development, design, and deployments using our agile-like internal process.
You will demonstrate strong leadership qualities, contribute to all technical discussions with insight and pragmatism, and drive the development of our customer facing products by combining technical vision, commercial awareness, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Oversee a small team of UI developers
- Work closely with the senior management to develop new features for the company's suite of products
- Push deployments on a regular scheduled basis using internal CI/CD pipelines
- Active perform code-reviews and provide constructive feedback to UI team
- Research new technologies and tools that improve our products and internal development processes
- Learn, embrace, and understand the Maritime Industry
- Promote a "solution-driven dev culture"
- Expected to have regular working hours compatible with UK time zone
- Be able to attend periodic meetings in UK office
- Frontend Frameworks: Advanced Vue.js experience preferable, although general framework experience is applicable (Vue.js, React, Angular).
- Bundling: Webpack
- Testing: Jest, Testing Library, Cypress
- Mapping libraries: OpenLayers/Mapbox/Leaflet
- CI/CD: Azure Pipelines / Github Actions / Circle CI
- Containers: Docker
- A genuine "can do" attitude
- See challenges as opportunities more than obstacles
- Believe in iteration over perfection
- Would rather spend an extra 25 minutes of your day to hand-off completed job rather than delay the whole team the next morning
- Would see a missing detail in a specification as an chance to be self-directed rather than the chance to put the task on-hold
We believe we offer an appealing work life balanced package to attract and retain the most motivated team players. Aside from a competitive salary, we also offer a range of unique additional benefits:
- Up to 35 days annual leave
- Annual personal performance bonus
- Annual company performance bonus
- Regular performance reviews
- Flexible work-location from office, Home or “Rome”
- Regular internal hackathon events
- sponsored recreational holidays
- sponsored continuous professional development
- supported personal charitable challenges.
How to apply
All qualified applicants, please apply here: https://apply.workable.com/stratumfive/j/86EE80E728/apply/
Looking for more full-time jobs?